School Governance: Different models and perspectives
Date: November 10, 2012
Time: 10-12 noon
Location: Community meeting room at Calgary Coop (Midtown Market 1130 – 11 Avenue SW)
Who this workshop is for:
- This program is for any Calgarian with a passion for education who aspires to be the change in their educational community. If you are considering becoming involved on a parent council, or wish to develop your effectiveness as a council member, or running for elected office as a trustee, this program is for you.
- Advance a shared understanding of governance and provide participants with an overview of different governance models
- Examine key components and strategies of CBE’s “coherent governance” model
- Identify principles and approaches for effective practice.
- To identify our individual philosophy and approach for effective practices in governing
10 am: Welcome & introductions: Robert Hurdman
10:15 am: Panel: Facilitated by Julie Kearns
- Best practices in school governance. Dale Hudjik, governance consultant
- CBE’s new “Coherent Governance” model. Carol Bazinet, CBE trustee
- Managing under corporate governance. Geoff Shorten, COO of WesternOne
10:45 am: Questions & Discussion
- What is the link between good governance and effectiveness in education systems?
- What is the role of the chairperson in ensuring successful boards?
- What is the role of parent councils and other stakeholders in board governance?
- What strategies are needed to avoid board meritocracy?
11:30 am: Summary of emerging themes
11:45 am How do we gain governance skills?